The palace was built by the Travancore King Marthanda Varma in the 18th century and is considered to be one of the finest examples of traditional Kerala architecture.
The palace complex comprises a number of buildings and structures, including a temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu, a pond, and a museum. The museum, housed in a separate building, contains a rich collection of artifacts and exhibits related to the history and culture of the region.
One of the highlights of the palace is the mural painting on the western wall of the palace, known as the 'Gajendra Moksham'. The painting, which measures around 14 feet by 11 feet, depicts a scene from Hindu mythology in which Lord Vishnu rescues an elephant from a crocodile.
Another notable feature of the palace is the vast expanse of gardens and lawns surrounding the main building. The gardens are a great place to relax and enjoy the serene surroundings, and they are also home to a wide variety of plant and bird species.
Krishnapuram palace itself is a site museum as it acclaims an age-old tradition and antiquity. An Archaeological Museum is functioning inside this palace. Antique objects excavated by the Department of Archaeology and the exhibits brought about from the other regions are also housed in this museum. The idols and vessels made of bronze collected from Annamalanatharu temple, Thodupuzha, Idukki district are the auspicious exhibits there. Images made of bronze and wood; potteries excavated from different sites, traditional weighing apparatus, stone sculptures, swords, coins etc. exhibited there are noteworthy.
Address: 5G25+4C9, Oachira Rd, near Krishnapuram, Kayamkulam, Kerala 690533
Phone: 0479 244 1133
How To Reach
Nearest Railway Station: Kayamkulam Junction, about 8 km
Nearest Airport: Trivandrum International Airport, about 103 km